Many Christians have a difficult time getting excited about the prospect of heaven because they do not know what it is like, what to expect when they arrive, or what how they will occupy their time. This message looks briefly at some Scriptural definitions of heaven as Paul steers the believer’s mind and heart there.
PHILLIPIANS 3:20 – 4:1 (NASB)
20 For our citizenship is in heaven, from which also we eagerly wait for a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ; 21 who will transform the body of our humble state into conformity with the body of His glory, by the exertion of the power that He has even to subject all things to Himself.
Think of Excellence
4 Therefore, my beloved brethren whom I long to see, my joy and crown, in this way stand firm in the Lord, my beloved.
MATTHEW 7:13 (NASB)
13 “Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it.
1 JOHN 3:2 (NASB)
2 Beloved, now we are children of God, and it has not appeared as yet what we will be. We know that when He appears, we will be like Him, because we will see Him just as He is.
ACTS 1:11 (NASB)
11 They also said, “Men of Galilee, why do you stand looking into the sky? This Jesus, who has been taken up from you into heaven, will come in just the same way as you have watched Him go into heaven.”
To be “captivated” means to attract and hold the interest and attention of charm.
1. Are you holding the interest of the world? Are you captivated by the lures that social media shouts? This is a true soul searcher, so give yourself time and reflection before you answer. Allow the Holy Spirit to shine in areas that need to be exposed to the Light.
Paul became vulnerable, letting the reader know that he is actually drawn to tears because he sees not only the lost but also those who are enemies of the cross of Christ.
2. Are you allowing the Holy Spirit to create a sensitivity in your heart and mind for those who are dying and destined for hell?
Feeling bad for the lost won’t cut it! We, as true believers are admonished to compel them to come into the Kingdom.(Luke 14:23)
3. What or whom is pulling you away from God? It doesn’t have to be something hideous or bad. Anything that is not bringing you closer to knowing God in a deeper way, could potentially be taking you away. A hobby, TV, another person, consumed with work, being over-involved, or basically spreading yourself so thin that you have nothing left, no time or energy for God.
4. In what ways could you reprioritize your life to draw closer to God?
We only have one chance here on earth, then we will spend all eternity either in Heaven with God or in eternal damnation with the god of this world and those who hearts remained hardened. The glorious thing is that we get to choose! That’s right It is completely our decision, our choice! God has already placed eternity in the hearts of men, women and children! (Ecc3:11) So, no one has any excuse.
5. What have you done just this past week that will end here on earth? What have you done this past week that you will see in Eternity?
Help me to remember that You have created me for Heaven. Help me remember that my life, speaks to those who are watching and that I can lead the people around me to find new life in You.
Everything that happens at LCC is because of your generous gifts. When you give to God through LCC, you're helping reach thousands with the Gospel each week, and making a difference for the lowcountry and around the world.